Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The Superbeings



Tuesday night I got the sudden urge to go to my local used bookstore, Counterpoint Books. I wandered down the block and started taking random photos. As I approached the corner magazine stand, I saw what I thought would make a cool photo: A guy's silhouette next to a bicycle. After I took the photo, the man turned around and it was surprisingly a good friend of mine, whom I had not seen in a long time. We said a brief hello and I headed on to Counterpoint. The first book that caught my eye was a weird culty thing that I am now fascinated by called The Superbeings, written by John Randolph Price in 1981.

Of all of them, the last group of four pictures struck me the most. On my way home, I stopped in my tracks because I suddenly felt like I was being watched. I looked around and saw nothing, save for a vacant entrance to an apartment building. I leaned my head back to shoot up the side of the building, and as the photo strip program quickly clicked away, I swung my arm down to get a shot inside the window, then inside the door, of the empty lobby. But, as I started to take the third photo, I gasped and jerked my hand away; the glowing-eyed wizard whom I hadn't seen through the window in the 2nd picture (yeah, look closely - I'm not kidding) jumped out right in front of me and hollered, "You like pictures?!" The cloaked warlock man seemed perfectly friendly, but his Hansel-and-Gretel-meets-plague-doctor look was enough to keep me moving on.

No comments:

Post a Comment